This is a painting of the Chemung Canal in Montour Falls, NY during the canal days. Montour Falls was known as Havana then. ( Courtesy of Montour Falls Memorial Library)
Welcome to the Chemung Canal page! The Chemung Canal opened in 1833. It provided a waterway from the Chemung River in Elmira, N.Y. to Seneca Lake in Watkins Glen, N.Y. Steamboats towed the canal boats north to Geneva where they locked into the Cayuga and Seneca Canal, and then into the Erie Canal. A feeder canal provided water from the Chemung River, and it allowed boats to travel from Corning, N.Y. to link up with the main canal at Horseheads, N.Y. The Chemung Canal closed for good in 1878 as railroads and costly repairs to the canal destroyed the canal's business. For a brief history of the Chemung Canal, select the history button below. You can also view pictures about the canal and go to other links by selecting the buttons below.
The book, A Link in the Great Chain: A History of the Chemung Canal is available. Contact the Chemung Valley History Museum to get a copy of the book.
Chemung Valley History Museum
415 East Water Street
Elmira, NY 14901
fax 607-734-1565 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org